Saturday, December 30, 2006

he who hesitates is still waiting

Under normal circumstances, what do I gain by moving through the intersection amongst the indecisiveness and in essence out of turn? About the only thing positive that I can come up with is that I made a decision and I followed through on it. But even the positive seems to be tarnished by a lead, follow, or get out of the way bravado. As well, the rest of my gains seem rather demoting to the other driver.

  • I went, they had to wait
  • if you don’t drive aggressively enough, I will drive right around you
  • when you deal with me, you will be submissive
Which leads to the next question.

Under normal circumstances, what do I miss out on by moving through the intersection amongst the indecisiveness and in essence out of turn? The missed opportunities far out weight the gains.
  • the opportunity to extend courtesy
  • the opportunity to elevate another
  • the opportunity to smile and laugh at each other and yourself
  • an extra couple of seconds to change your radio station
Of course both lists can go on pending on how far you are willing to explore the moment.

No matter what you choose, you will be affecting a future you, and at the least the present other driver. The choice is yours; you can lift them up or push them down. The affects of which can cascade for a very long time. The movies ‘pay it forward’ and ‘crash’ deal with this theme. A pattern of doing either shapes your character and affects theirs.

No comments: